10 Tips to Make Your Computer Virus-Free
(10 tips membuat komputermu bebas virus)
The explosion in Internet use has brought with it the very real threat of viruses that can attack the unwary user. Viruses come in many forms – installers, Trojans and worms all of which can affect the performance of your computer and your privacy seriously. Viruses affect the computer either by corrupting programs or by replicating themselves and denying resources to legitimate programs. Trojans usually come disguised as something desirable and are activated when you try to open or run them. Worms and some Trojans may send themselves to people in your address book in emails, without your knowledge.
Even though the threat posed by viruses is serious, a few precautions taken in time can help you protect and sanitize your computer against viruses.
1. Browse with Caution – Most viruses enter your computer as a result of clicking on pop ups or other links in websites that are not trustworthy. Do not follow links or click on pop ups that could install viruses on your computer.
2. Open Emails Cautiously – At times, even if the subject is innocuous, emails can contain links that lead to a virus entering your computer. If the email is not from a trusted source, treat it with caution.
3. Open Email Attachments with Care – The attachment that the email urges you to open may contain a virus! Make sure your mail manager allows you to preview the type of file (.exe, .com, .vbt in attachments are probably viruses. The same goes for screensaver programs that come to you unsolicited).
4. Installing downloaded programs – Programs downloaded from the Internet can pose a serious threat to your computer. Make sure that the program you have downloaded is from a trusted site or has a certificate issued by a trusted certifying authority.
5. Firewall – There are several firewall software packages available that allow you to prevent unauthorized access to your computer that could be initiated by an infected system.
6. Antivirus – A good antivirus package residing in your computer can be the best protection you can have against viruses. Choose an antivirus package that can comprehensively defend itself against viruses.
7. Regular Virus Scan – The mere presence of anti-virus software in your computer is not enough. Scanning of your computer for viruses must be done on a regular basis to locate and isolate viruses.
8. Update the Anti-Virus – It is very important to update the anti-virus program itself periodically. New viruses are introduced every day and the manufacturers of the anti-virus software update the virus database and capabilities of the anti-virus program regularly.
9. Update windows and all other software – Do not forget to update the Operating System and other software regularly as they are frequently patched to overcome security loopholes and vulnerabilities.
10. Removable Media – Removable media like floppies and USB drives are a major factor facilitating spreading of viruses. Use only trusted devices on your computer.
Ms. Pinky is a Computer Support Specialist for more than 25 years. Has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, MS Research work in Systems Engineering.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Pinky_Mcbanon